As North Korea Loses Internet, Anonymous, Others Question Whether It Really Hacked Sony | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

As North Korea Loses Internet, Anonymous, Others Question Whether It Really Hacked Sony

On Friday, the FBI released a statement blaming the North Korean government for the massive cyberattack against Sony last month. President Barack Obama also said over the weekend that he was considering re-adding North Korea to the United States' terrorist watch list.

But North Korea has continued to deny that it's behind the Sony breach, and the group that has claimed responsibility -- the hacking collective Guardians of Peace -- is mocking the FBI online, according to The Daily Beast. Some security researchers, as well as members of the hacktivist group Anonymous, are questioning whether there is enough evidence to blame North Korea at all.

"I have yet to see evidence of North Korea behind this," Kyle Wilhoit, a senior threat researcher at Trend Micro, a Japanese security firm, told HuffPost on Monday. Wilhoit argued that just because the FBI sees similarities between the code used in the Sony hack and other North Korean malware doesn't mean it was the same attacker.

"The language of the binary (Korean) is a bad way to attribute anything," he said in an email, adding, "I know the US likely has far more data they can't share, but until I see some proof, I'm skeptical."

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA